What is a friend?

Friend (frěnd)

1. a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.
2. a person who gives assistance; patron; supporter
3. a person who is on good terms with another; a person who is not hostile



What is your definition of a friend? I am learning that a friend doesn’t have to be someone that you hang around with all the time. That they can be in your life for short periods of time and that’s OK. To me, it’s about a feeling. A feeling of happiness they bring to my life. Or the support they offer in times of trouble. Today, during work, I had a visit from a co-worker that I do not get to see very often as we work for different entities within the organization. But every once in awhile we have a chance to interact. I have known this man for over 9 years. Now, this gentleman is quite the character. Every time I see him, we have many laughs, no matter what we are working on. He makes me laugh and I truly enjoy him as a person. It made me start to think about people in my life that make me feel that way and how very important they are even though we don’t see or talk to them on a daily or weekly basis. I have friends such as my friend Stephanie in South Dakota that I only email every once in awhile but as soon as we start corresponding we fall right back into that place we were when we worked together many years ago. I think about all my blog friends who make comments on my posts and offer me support during my times of struggle. Sometimes I struggle whether to tell such things but when I receive these comments and I know that there are people out there that do care…it makes the biggest difference in the world and I thank everyone for that. I like this feeling that I have in my heart when I think about the people that I have in my life. I think that I am going to look for more of that in my life. Look for the small things. The small joys. Not everything has to be a grand gesture to make a difference in a persons life. It’s the simple things…a smile, a gesture, a call, a email and even a comment….I am going to strive to do the little things...and maybe I will make someone feel like I have felt today...blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life.

Comments

Kim Mailhot said…
I so agree with you ! Small things - small gestures and small gifts received, make such a huge difference when you focus on them! I also agree hat we are so blessed - to have our "friends" of all kinds and also to be grateful for them !

I want to go to Aruba !!!!! Please tell us about it so we can live vicariously (and kind of jealously!)through you, lucky Lady !
Jen Crossley said…
I to agree CIndy freindship takes all forms,you dont have to live in each others pockets with some friends you just take off where you left off.
A friend is there through the good and the bad,ready to pick up the pieces or to make you laugh ,have coffee with,to share
Jen
Shelly said…
Yes friends really are the fabric of our lives.
HappyDayArt! said…
I sure hope I am on that list, even if I get busy sometimes and have only known you for a short while compared to the guy at work for instance.

Catherine