Art for feelings

As I was writing an email to an artist I admire greatly, I had an epiphany of sorts. I was telling her that when I buy a piece of art or take a class, it is about how that piece or class makes me feel. And I came to the realization, that I have been trying to create things that I think OTHER people would like. And in doing so, I am selling out on my uniqueness and creativity and that is why stuff just doesn't flow from me. Take for example, the necklace in the previous post. Even though I was making it for me (I needed more red in my life! LOL...my sister's will understand) I was going to put a rose in the focal piece because I thought it would appeal to more people. Who cares if it appeals to more people! It's for me right???? And if it wasn't...I should do what I like because that is who I am... That is part of the equation... I think that if one is an artist, you put a little piece of you in everything you make. So...heres to my uniqueness. I vow to not create something because I think "people" will like it. I will create it because I like it and it shows my personality. Needless to say...I did not finish my necklace today... I need to rework my focal piece.

Comments

Amy Huff said…
That's awesome Cindy! I think lots of artists reall struggle to find their own voice, or point of view for Project Runway fans!, and just try to make what they think will appeal to everyone or what they see out there already instead of seeing those things and them making them their own. Can't wait to see what comes out of this epiphany.
I've had the same epiphany, too Cindy. The interesting thing is that people will like your art even more because it's uniquely your own!
I am excited to see you in February!
amanda
Rella said…
KUDOS to you girl!! You are totally right with that thought. When you make what you love it brings YOU joy and it comes through in your piece. I look forward to seeing what you create.
xo RElla
Kerri Jean said…
Hi Cindy,
Thanks for that reminder. When I do that, the same thing happens - I lose my direction and enthusiasm and my art becomes more forced. Enjoy!