A new direction in my art....

Whenever I go to art retreats, I try and buy one piece of art so that I can have something from a favorite teacher or artist that I get to meet at the retreat. Here is my piece from Julie Haymaker Thompson, when I went to Art & Soul Las Vegas. I almost didn't get on the plane back home because of the protractor used in the piece. The TSA agents were looking at it and then they were trying to pull it off. I told them..."don't pull to hard you'll break my piece of art!" Well they let me on the plane but that was a lesson learned...next time I would ship it home. The piece below I bought from Debbie Egizio. We were both at the Creative Connection and it was the first time I had got to meet her in person. We have been blog buddies for a long time. She is just so sweet and talented.On my trip to Art Unraveled, I bought this piece below from DJ Pettitt. I love taking her classes and have learned so much from her.



So each time I look at these I remember what I was doing, how it made me feel. It's like looking at pictures and being brought back to a certain place and time, but more often than pictures. You see, my pictures, well they pretty much stay on the computer. I used to scrapbook but I think I have completed about 6 pages out of all the stuff I had and have. How often do people bring out their photos? I'm gonna guess and say...not very often. And since I started buying art while going to art retreats I have also been buying art pieces from when I go on vacation.


This bowl I got the first time I went to Turkey with all my sisters. It sits on my coffee table and I am reminded everyday of that wonderful trip.


Below is my beaded chicken from Mexico. He's had kinda a rough time as he fell off of the shelf where I originally had him and some of his beads fell off. But even with the missing beads, he still does his job of reminding me how beautiful it was in Mexico. The artist was outside the shop making another piece so I got to see how it was done.


And....the point of all this??? I have decided to create art that will remind me of a place I have been. Something that I have seen...to remind me....of the special times and how lucky I am to see this amazing world we live in....


Comments

Amy Huff said…
I love it! I try to do something similar and admit to having a little bit of a wall space issue but I just can't help myself.

These pieces are fantastic.